Friday, May 8, 2009

Not a Bucket List

My Bucket list will come after my return home, I'm saving the thought for the 24 hour trip home. Tonight's post is spontaneous, and is coming in spite of the fact that I ought to be studying.

I talked to a guy named Moritz tonight along with my buddy James for an hour and a half. He's about my age, German, studying in London for the year, and traveling to North Carolina this summer to work with the Challenge camp to teach football to kids. (soccer). Such a cool guy, really seemed receptive, really was actually interested in what we had to say. Asked a lot of questions that we could answer, and really seemed to think about it. He said he had a really hard time believing that people went to hell, and in the end I told him that the beautiful thing is that God loves HIM. Uniquely, individually, him, and that if tonight he took the time to go before God honestly, and told this relational, ultimate, beautifully perfect God that he was having trouble believing, God could help him out. I told him the Bible said "if you seek, you shall find" and he could come before God as he was and help him. We pleaded with him earnestly not to put it off, and told him the realities of sin, and he seemed to really take it to heart. Long story short, he didn't accept God into his heart at Leicester Square tonight, but for the first time this semester, I am so incredibly hopeful that he will.

How good is God. He loves us. Uniquely, individually, perfectly us. We fall short. Every day, every hour even, we fail to follow his law. And even if we aren't busy breaking his law, are we really doing what we should be? Even in the off chance that we've made it through the day without breaking his law, have we loved him as we should? Can we even grasp how holy, righteous, and perfect he is? Are we even capable? It's completely blowing my mind right now that I sin all the time, I don't trust him even though he has given me everything, and yet, he loves me anyway. This God of all Gods, holier than holy, created us and loves us in spite of our imperfections.

I'm stunned.

1 comment:

Clint said...

We must not look past the point that God loves us in spite of our imperfections, but that does not mean that He is happy with us or that we have brought Him any great joy or blessing. I think that I sometimes rest upon the fact that He is a loving God, which makes me joyous but at the same time often complacent in my walk to try to make Him happy with me.